EV BatteriesBattery manufacturers are developing innovative technologies that provide advanced energy systems for transportation applications. New breakthroughs in technology, chemistry and manufacturing help bring down the costs of batteries.
"Between 1991 and 2005 [...] the cost per unit energy of the lithium ion batteries used in electric cars fell by 80 percent, while the energy density of those batteries (the amount of energy that can be stored in a battery by weight) doubled." (Charging Forward: The Emergence of Electric Vehicles)
"Nissan researchers have been able to charge batteries within 10 minutes in the lab, although their technology is not yet ready for commercial deployment." (Charging Forward: The Emergence of Electric Vehicles)
"The price of a complete automotive lithium-ion battery pack could fall from $500to $600 per kilowatt hour (kWh) today to about $200 per kWh by 2020 and to about $160 per kWh by 2025." (Battery Technology Charges Ahead)
"Battery manufacturing could grow to $100 billion a year [in the United States] by 2030" (Electric Vehicles: Reducing Foreign Oil Dependence)
"U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) said that [the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act], ARRA would increase U.S.
advanced technology battery manufacturing capability [...] to [...] a
projected 40% of the world’s EV batteries by 2015" (Battery Manufacturing for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles)
>> For more information and to access the original reports, please register as an associate for free.
- Elecrovaya Announces Memorandum of Understanding with Major Asian Conglomerate MOU envisages minority investment in Electrovaya, joint marketing arrangement, Joint Venture opportunities and business co-operation in all other areas including material sourcing and project financing Toronto, Ontario – February 20, 2013 - Electrovaya Inc. (TSX: EFL) today announced...
- DSE Hybrid Selects Balqon Corporation Lithium Battery System For Island Pilot Hybrid Yacht Using Solar Electric Drive HARBOR CITY, CA - January 29, 2013 — Balqon Corporation (OTCBB: BLQN), a developer of electric vehicles, drive systems and lithium battery storage devices, announced delivery and installation of HIQAP™ high energy storage 1000 ahr, 48 volt battery system into Island Pilot Yacht,...
- TMC to Sell Electricity Management System Using Recycled Hybrid Vehicle Batteries to Toyota Dealers in Japan Toyota City, Japan, January 23, 2013 - Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announces that starting this April, it will sell an electricity management system that uses recycled nickel-metal hydride batteries from hybrid vehicles to Toyota vehicle dealers throughout Japan. Through such means,...
- Electrovaya receives Purchase Order for Lithium Ion SuperPolymer® batteries from DongFeng Motors for its Electric Vehicle program in China DongFeng Motor Group, one of China’s largest Automakers, contracts with Electrovaya to produce prototypes for advanced battery systems for an electric vehicle program. Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty attends signing ceremony in Shanghai, China. Toronto, Ontario – January 15, 2013 –...
- Johnson Controls exceeds 18 million AGM batteries Technology helps to establish European Start-Stop vehicle market with U.S. adoption on the way DETROIT, January 14, 2013 - Johnson Controls, Inc., today announced it has sold more than 18 million Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries since the technology launched in 2001, topping 4.5 million...
- Johnson Controls to unveil Micro Hybrid battery demonstration module at North American International Auto Show DETROIT, January 10, 2013 - Johnson Controls, Inc., the world's leading supplier of automotive batteries, will introduce its 48 volt Micro Hybrid battery demonstration module as part of its full spectrum of advanced energy storage solutions for automobiles. Power Solutions President Alex...
- BASF Joins Electric Drive Transportation Association For immediate release Washington, DC—December 3, 2012 — The Electric Drive Transportation Association (EDTA), the leading industry association dedicated to promoting electric drive as a core technology on the road to sustainable...
- Department of Energy awards up to $120 million for battery hub to Argonne-led group Joint Center for Energy Storage Research (JCESR) - U.S. Department of Energy Batteries and Energy Storage Hub - DOE Batteries and Energy Storage Hub. DOE research in batteries and storage for electric vehicles. EV batteries R&D by DOE.
- Millennials Electrified by Advanced Battery Technology Gen Y comprises nearly half of hourly workers at GM’s Brownstown Battery Assembly
- GM, ABB Demonstrate Chevrolet Volt Battery Reuse Unit Electric car battery secondary use: World’s first use of electric vehicle batteries for energy storage nears grid testing
- Electrovaya Launches Residential Lithium Ion Energy Storage System Li-ion systems for home usage: Electrovaya systems available from 3kWh – 20 kWh
- Dow Launches New Phosphate Material For Improved Battery Performance DEM Lithium Manganese Iron Phosphate Features 10 – 15% Higher Energy Density, Enabling Less Weight, Lower Costs for Energy Storage Applications
- "BOmobil" EV, designed with the participation of Delphi, on display at the eCarTec show ‘BOmobil’ meets the demands of small and medium-sized enterprises in the field of local transport services
- Volkswagen and BASF present the first “Science Award Electrochemistry” to Dr. Naoaki Yabuuchi, Tokyo University of Science Award honors outstanding research results for lithium-ion and sodium-ion batteries – prize money €50,000; International “Science Award Electrochemistry” from Volkswagen and BASF to be presented annually
- Dow Kokam powers LUMENEO’S new ultra-compact electric vehicle Dow Kokam provides energy-dense lithium-ion batteries to bring NEOMA from concept to reality
- Electrovaya launches next generation lithium ion SuperPolymer(R) cell & battery technology: MN-HP series Electrovaya's Energy Cell Exceeds 200Wh/kg; unique non-toxic production process
- Vehicle-to-Grid: an intriguing, but challenging, opportunity NB: this post was initially published on A123 Systems' blog here . As expected , one of the main topics of discussion at last week’s 2012 High-Efficiency Truck Users Forum (HTUF) was making the business case for deploying electric vehicles in...
- Johnson Controls opens automotive battery recycling facility in Florence, South Carolina Johnson Controls Florence Recycling Center opens on schedule with strong community support
- Nanophosphate EXT: Update on Testing at the Center for Automotive Research This post was initially published on Sep. 7, 2012 on A123's blog Earlier this year, A123 introduced Nanophosphate EXT™, a new lithium ion battery technology designed to operate at extreme temperatures and significantly reduce—or altogether...
- Electrovaya increases its ownership to 99.6% of the shares of Miljøbil Grenland AS, an European Lithium Ion Battery Company Toronto, Ontario – September 13, 2012 – Electrovaya Inc. today announced that it has agreed to increase its position from 78.1% to 99.6% of the shares of Miljøbil Grenland AS (MBG). MBG is based in Porsgrunn, Norway. “MBG’s excellent...
- DOE live Webcast on Accelerating Innovation: Energy Storage Webinar from the Department of Energy about using cryotanks to store hydrogen when used as a vehicle fuel; research in technologies including: lithium ion batteries, electrochromic windows, the fabrication of nano-architecture electrodes for electrochemical systems, and surface atomic modification of electrode materials to improve performance.
- Electrovaya acquires majority shares in Miljøbil Grenland AS, a European Lithium Ion Battery Company Electrovaya Inc. today announced that it has acquired 71.6% of the shares of Miljøbil Grenland AS, bringing Electrovaya’s shareholding to 78.1% of Miljøbil Grenland AS, a European Lithium Ion Battery Company.
- FMC Corporation Names Eric W. Norris Lithium Division Manager CHARLOTTE, N.C. , Sept. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- FMC Corporation announced today the appointment of Eric W. Norris as manager, Lithium Division. "Eric is a strong business leader and is ideally suited to lead this growing...
- Cash acquisition of Talison Lithium by Rockwood Lithium Talison Lithium Limited (“Talison” or the “Company”) (TSX:TLH) announced today that it has entered into a definitive Scheme Implementation Agreement (“SIA”) with Rockwood Holdings, Inc. (“Rockwood”) under which it is proposed that Rockwood, or a wholly-owned entity of Rockwood, will acquire 100% of the ordinary shares in the capital of Talison (the “Shares”) by way of a Scheme of Arrangement (“Scheme”) under the Australian Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) for cash consideration of C$6.50 per share.
- Report 2012: Battery Technology Charges Ahead - Jul-2012 Battery Technology Charges Ahead, McKinsey - July, 2012
- Report 2012: Charging Forward The Emergence - 10-Jul-2012 Charging Forward: The Emergence of Electric Vehicles and their Role in Reducing Oil Consumption, Environment America Research & Policy Center - July 10, 2012
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle Battery - Sep-2011 US Department Of Energy Hybrid Electric Vehicle Battery And Fuel Economy Testing, U.S. Department of Energy - September, 2005
- Report 2012: Lithium-ion Batteries and Nanotechnology - 26-Apr-2012 Lithium-ion Batteries and Nanotechnology for Electric Vehicles: A Life Cycle Assessment, EPA - April 26, 2012
- ElectronVault Launches Traction Battery Product Line, Boosts Energy Utilization by 50 Percent Energy storage pioneer ElectronVault Inc. announced the launch of its ElectronVault Series 1 line of electric vehicle traction batteries.
- European e-mobility leaders DBT and Matra showcase battery swapping station for electric bikes and scooters at EVS26 from May 6th-9th in Los Angeles DBT CEV, one of the largest electric vehicle charging infrastructure firms in Europe, and Matra, a leading manufacturer of Light Electric Vehicles will introduce today at the Electric Vehicle Symposium (EVS26) press conference a unique solution in e-mobility : the Bat'Lib system, an innovative battery swapping station for e-bikes and e-scooters.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Electric Vehicle Safety Technical Symposium The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is announcing a technical symposium that will be held in Washington, DC on May 18, 2012 to discuss safety considerations for electric vehicles powered by lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries. The symposium will include brief NHTSA presentations outlining current agency research and activities related to Li-ion batteries and Li-ion battery-powered vehicles, as well as presentations by the Department of Energy, voluntary standards bodies, and automotive and battery manufacturers. Information on the date, time, location, and framework for this public event is included in this notice. Because of space limitations, registration by May 11, 2012 is highly recommended. There are no fees to register or to attend this event.
- EV-Smart Grid Demonstration Project Starting Operation of "M-tech Labo," a smart grid demonstration system Mitsubishi Corporation (MC), Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) and Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (Mitsubishi Electric) have completed the development and begun the operation of "M-tech Labo,*1" a smart grid demonstration system that utilizes rechargeable batteries in Electric Vehicles ("EVs") for electric-demand leveling of factory facilities.
- BMW Group and TMC Sign Lithium-ion Battery Collaborative Research Agreement BMW Group and Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) announce that they have signed an agreement on collaborative research in the field of next-generation lithium-ion battery cells and have begun said research.
- Report 2012: Distributed Energy Storage Serving - Feb 2012
- Report 2012: Distributed Energy Storage Serving - Feb 2012 Distributed Energy Storage: Serving National Interests (Executive Summary), National Alliance for Advanced Batteries - February 2012
- Report 2011: Battery Manufacturing for Hybrid - 22-Mar-2011